• 4 1/2 cups (1.125 L) strawberries, halved
• 3/4 cup (180 mL) sugar
•Required equipment: fine-mesh sieve; 17-by-12-inch (43-by-30-cm)
•Nonstick bakeware liner, like Silpat; large offset spatula; parchment paper
• Purée strawberries with sugar in a blender until smooth, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large heavy saucepan.
• Bring purée to a boil, then simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to an hour (stir more frequently toward end).
• Purée is ready when it is thick enough to mound slightly and reduced to 1 to 1 1/4 cups (250 to 310mL). Preheat oven to 200 F (95 C) with rack in middle. Line a large baking sheet with nonstick liner.
• Pour hot purée onto liner and spread thinly (as evenly as possible) into a 15-by-10-inch (40-by-25-cm) rectangle using spatula. Dry purée in oven until if feels drier (it shouldn’t stick to your fingers) but is still slightly tacky, 2 to 3 hours.
• Cool on liner on a rack until completely dry, at least 3 hours and up to 24.
• Place a sheet of parchment paper over leather, then peel leather off liner and roll up in parchment.
• Using a small cookie cutter or a pattern and scissors, cut leaves out of fruit leather.
makes one 15-by-10-inch (40-by-25-cm) sheet.